GEM’s website covers all grid-scale solar and wind power plants around the world, while providing data on more than 18,000 operations and planned wind power projects in 144 countries, as well as about 8,000 operations and planned solar projects in 148 countries.
According to the data published by GEM, Turkey ranks 12th among the countries with the most wind power plants with a capacity of 10 MW and above in operation, while it ranks 16th among countries with a solar energy capacity of 20 MW and above.
The Global Wind Power Tracker (GWPT) lists 13,263 wind farms in operation producing 681.4 GW of electricity in 144 countries, and 5,235 potential projects that will generate an additional 882.0 GW of electricity. The countries with the most wind project capacity in operation are:
- China (261.2 GW)
- USA (127.3 GW)
- Germany (39.6 GW)
- Spain (26.8 GW)
- India (23.7 GW)
The Global Solar Power Tracker (GSPT) lists 5,190 solar projects in operations generating 298.7 GW in 148 countries, and an additional 3,551 potential projects to generate 474.9 GW. Grid-scale solar accounts for about 65 percent of total global solar capacity, with the remaining 35 percent being residential and commercial facilities. The countries with the largest solar project capacity in operation are:
- China (103.3 GW)
- USA (43.4 GW)
- India (29.0 GW)
- Vietnam (11.3 GW)
- Mexico (10.5 GW)
Ingrid Behrsin, Project Manager for GEM’s Global Wind Energy Tracker, said: “Capturing the full scope of solar and wind farms established worldwide is critical to measuring progress towards the energy transition. With open-access project-level data like this, we are now in a much stronger position to monitor how countries are performing against their self-specified renewable energy targets.” she says.